Smoky Mountain News is Hiring!!
Job Title: Graphic Designer
Work Location: Waynesville, North Carolina
Work Environment: The Smoky Mountain News is a weekly newspaper covering Haywood, Jackson, Macon and Swain counties in North Carolina. Additionally, SMN produces numerous magazine-format publications for other regional entities, as well as an array of in-house niche publications, including the nationally distributed Smoky Mountain Living magazine. We are a dedicated group of creative professionals looking to add a full-time graphic designer to our company. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter and capable of working independently as well as in a team setting. The candidate will have outstanding graphic design skills for both print and the web and a solid understanding of grammar and writing.
A LINK TO PORTFOLIO, WEBSITE OR SAMPLE OF GRAPHIC DESIGN WORK IS REQUIRED UPON APPLICATION
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Use artwork and typography to design page layouts and covers that are consistent with the theme of the publication.
• Produce creative advertising that satisfies client requests in a deadline-driven environment.
• Be comfortable providing proofs and preparing files for press.
• Participate in staff meetings to discuss upcoming stories and ways to assist in marketing endeavors.
• Post content from Smoky Mountain News, Smoky Mountain Living magazine and Blue Ridge Motorcycling magazine using Joomla!, WordPress and MetroPublisher.
• Utilize SEO best practices to facilitate greater online presence of content.
• Maintain ebook editions of various publications for subscribers.
• Maintain multiple email hosting platforms.
• Troubleshoot technical issues, update extensions and maintain backups.
• Utilize Google Analytics to identify popular content and keep advertising and editorial staff informed of performance using periodic traffic reports.
• Assist with the creation and proofing of newsletters using Mailchimp and ActiveCampaign.
• Track display advertising performance using Google Ad Manager.
• Mastery of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) required
• Knowledge of QuarkXPress a plus
• Familiarity with HTML & CSS a plus
• Web Design skills also a plus
• Comfortable working on MAC platform
• Working knowledge of print and digital files
• Must be highly creative, both visually and technically
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Familiarity with digital and conventional pre-press file preparation a plus
• Must have access to reliable transportation
• Must be a self-starter and have solid time management skills
• Ability to multitask while maintaining strict attention to detail
• Maintain a positive and professional appearance and attitude at all times
• Applicant MUST provide access to an online portfolio of work demonstrating skills.
Education & Experience
Degree in graphic design or related field preferred.
The ideal candidate will have 2+ years experience working in print media or a similar field. Experience working in a newspaper setting is a plus.
Recent graduates will be considered for employment so long as they possess a degree in graphic design and are able to provide references from their course instructor.
This position requires prolonged periods of sitting. The employee will regularly use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls and talk or hear. Must be able to lift/move up to 25 pounds.
Full-time employees of Smoky Mountain News receive:
2 weeks PTO (paid time off) after 1 year employment; 3 weeks after 5 years
Generous sick leave/personal leave
401k retirement with company match
Supplemental insurance through AFLAC coverage offered
Gym Membership reimbursements
Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm
Waynesville, North Carolina
**This position is not remote**
Email resume, cover letter and link to portfolio to micah[at]smokymountainnews[dot]com
Smoky Mountain News is an equal opportunity employer